Interpreters assist the Language Bank (LB) and deal with spoken words in the exchange of verbal information. They transfer a message spoken in one language into another without changing the meaning. They must ensure that both sides understand the meaning as well as the words exchanged.
At ISC interpreter assists clients in situations where they do not speak English. Interpretation may take place at health clinics, legal offices, social services, shelters, and other agencies as the need arises. Commitment will be on an on-call basis – approximately 2 to 4 hours per interpretation request and frequency will depend upon the requests received by ISC from clients.
- Sign ISC’s Volunteer Responsibility and Confidentiality Agreement
- Complete a Calgary Police Information Check, Intervention Record Check and Reference Check
- Attend our mandatory Orientation and Core Competency Training for Interpreters
- Provide accurate interpretations that respect ISC’s standards of quality
- Follow and adhere to specific guidelines explained in the training manual
- Respect ISC’s confidentiality policy
- Fluency in English and at least one of the languages: Amharic, Tigrinya, Vietnamese, Ukrainian, Polish, French (native)
If not a native speaker, proof of English language proficiency is required (CLB 7, TOEFL 60-78, or IELTS 6)
- Good communication skills and excellent comprehension in English and the other language(s)
- Attention to detail
- Cultural sensitivity
- Development of interpretation skills
- Enhanced communication human relation skills
- Increased knowledge of community resources
- A sense of accomplishment in meeting a community need
If interested, please click here to apply for the volunteer role.