Translators deal with written information which they transfer from one language (the source language) into another (the target language). Translators must be sensitive to the context of the document considering the meaning in the text which needs to be translated, not just the words.
At ISC, volunteer translators work with Language Bank on translating documents which are required for clients’ settlement, educational, or employment needs. Documents may include birth certificates, marriage certificates, diplomas, transcripts, driver licenses, letters of reference, and others. Frequency of assignments will depend on the requests received by Language Bank from clients. Time commitment is 2-4 hours per translation request, on an on-call basis.
- Sign ISC’s Volunteer Responsibility and Confidentiality Agreement
- Complete a Calgary Police Information Check and Reference Check
- Attend our mandatory Orientation and Core Competency Training for Translators
- Provide accurate translations that respect ISC’s standards of quality and timelines
- Follow and adhere to specific guidelines explained in the training manual
- Respect ISC’s confidentiality policy
- Fluency in English and at least one of the languages: Amharic, Tigrinya, Vietnamese, Ukrainian, Polish, French (native)
If not a native speaker, proof of English language proficiency is required (CLB 7, TOEFL 60-78, or IELTS 6)
- Good writing skills and excellent reading comprehension in English and the other language(s)
- Good computer literacy
- Good working knowledge of word processing applications i.e. Microsoft Word
- Attention to detail
- Cultural sensitivity
- Development of translation skills
- Enhanced communication skills
- Increased knowledge of community resources
- A sense of accomplishment in meeting a community need
If interested, please click here to apply for the volunteer role.