Website Platform Calgary
PROGRAM MANAGER, INCUBATOR
Who is Platform?
Platform Calgary is laser focused on making Calgary a global hub for startups and innovation. We believe that an inclusive, tech-led approach to economic growth and diversification will unlock new avenues of opportunity and prosperity for current and future Calgarians. Calgary is already one of the world’s top 100 emerging innovation ecosystems, but our goals are motivating: over the next 10 years we want to see a 10x increase in the rate of startup creation and growth result in the creation of 30,000 future proofed jobs.
To make this vision a reality, we have opened the Platform Innovation Centre, Calgary’s Home for Innovators. With 70+ partner organizations already connected and aligned in vision under one roof, we are collectively what our name suggests: a platform upon which to build, with an expansive, efficient and well resourced network of support at its foundation. Along with our partners we offer innovators everything they need to get started and get growing: educational programming, community, advice and a globally-connected network of resources.
At heart we are trusted collaborators with our partners that work alongside us, and are tireless advocates for every innovator that comes through our doors.
What’s it like to work at Platform?
Our team is passionate about supporting startups and innovators no matter where they’re at, but is equally enthusiastic about seeing our partners thrive as they deliver on our shared vision for Calgary. We are a catalytic organization that, at its core, is highly collaborative AND highly entrepreneurial. At the end of the day, we’re all working together to empower the people building the next economy.
We hire experts and generalists with complementary skills and a shared attitude: we value integrity, creativity and diversity, and we thrive as part of integrated teams that revel in delivering results. If you’re considering joining our team, it is important that you understand we are blazing new trails in our city. Read our Guiding Principles for the litmus test on how we frame and prioritize the work we do.
Diversity in the people we hire is essential for truly collaborative work, and for the impact we are accountable for in the community we serve. We foster a workplace in which everyone’s differences are recognized, appreciated, and respected to fully develop and utilize each person’s talents and strengths. We operate a hybrid and flexible work environment to support the best results from our highly collaborative teams.
Our beliefs are the foundations of Platform’s growing culture. Written by all of us, we are each accountable to these beliefs and work to reinforce them in our daily work:
- Ship It: I do what it takes to get work out the door even if it’s not perfect, and learn how to make it better.
- Shout Out: I revel in my coworkers’ efforts and accomplishments.
- Move the Needle: I drive transformational results by focusing on opportunities that create measurable impact at scale.
- All Hands: I take initiative to listen, ask and contribute in whatever ways I can because I have experiences and knowledge that matter.
- Build to Last: I act today to create foundations for the future of Calgary.
- Top Priority: I safeguard my health and wellness and know I am supported by the team to take care of myself.
If you’re ready to be a part of a highly collaborative team that is making a difference in the future of Calgary, you should get in touch with us.
Reporting to the Director of Acceleration, the successful candidate will be responsible for developing and implementing the Platform Incubator, an 18 month program that will support the growth objectives and momentum of pre-seed and seed stage startups.
As a Program Manager for the Platform Incubator the work you do will be impactful for founders, the startup community and for our organization. From selection and on-boarding to coordinating operations and reporting, you will be responsible for the development, implementation and execution of the Platform Incubator program. This role is for an individual passionate about helping build an organization that is dedicated to building Calgary as a global hub for startup and innovation.
What you will be doing:
- Collaboratively develop and implement the beta version of Platform Incubator (3 cohorts).
- Develop and execute strategy for outreach, scouting, evaluating, selection and on-boarding of innovative startups.
- Management and coordination of all aspects of Incubator operations including:
- Matching and coordination between founders, EiRs, external coaches and partner office hours.
- Facilitation of full cohort activities such as peer mentorship, accountability check-ins and events.
- Collaborate with EiRs to develop clear milestones and accountabilities throughout the individual founder journey.
- Ensure a robust menu of workshop opportunities for entrepreneurs on topics such sales, marketing, product development, talent development, pitching and fundraising.
- Recruitment and retention of superb EiRs, external coaches and industry experts to offer office hours.
- Gather relevant information for any grant reporting and preparing and submitting grant reports where required.
- Develop and execute a strategy for outcomes tracking throughout the program, as well as post-incubator participation.
- Coordinate with internal teams (Marketing, Finance, Advisors, Fund Development) as required to ensure all program elements are managed efficiently.
What you will bring:
- This role is best suited to someone with the scars that come from being a startup founder or early team member, or a tech investor, and that has a burning desire to transmit that experience to those coming up now. It probably needs at least 5 years of accumulated experience, but we can imagine situations where someone gained 5 years worth of experience in a much shorter period of time!
- Ideally you have already run an incubator or accelerator program, supported startups as a coach and have been an entrepreneur yourself.
- Strong background in facilitation of larger groups and building communities based on empathy and inclusion.
- Ability to easily switch between strategic thinking and execution, taking high-level ideas and turning them into well organized and easily-understandable documents and materials.
- Experience managing multiple stakeholder groups including government, venture capital, angel investors, ecosystem supports and startups.
- Project management experience – coordinating many moving pieces while keeping an eye on outcomes and staying within budget.
- Strong communication skills to be able to work with customers and stakeholders internally and externally to ensure efficient program delivery.
- Understand how to effectively derive and measure results from the programs we deliver and how we might learn and iterate from those results.
- Knowledgeable about entrepreneur development and the startup ecosystem in Calgary.
- Experience working in a dynamic non-profit environment.
- Experience working in Google Workspace, Asana, Slack, and Humi.
- Insight/research/understanding into Calgary’s tech sector and startup landscape.
What you will receive:
- Comprehensive health, vision and dental benefits including a Health Spending Account, Wellness Account and Employee Assistance Programs.
- Maple: Online Doctors, virtual help and prescriptions in Canada.
- Group RRSP matching program & Group Life Insurance.
- Fridays off during the months of July and August & three weeks paid vacation plus one week paid vacation in December/January.
- Maternity/Parental leave top-up.
- Aspirational Workspace – the Platform Innovation Centre is Calgary’s home for innovators.
- Amenities – the Platform Innovation Centre includes a cafe, bike storage and shower facilities.
- Salary Range: $75,000 – $98,000
Platform Calgary is dedicated to creating a diverse and inclusive community, where everyone is welcome, valued and included. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates regardless of race, creed, sex, gender, orientation, religion, and including persons with disabilities, visible minorities and foreign-born residents. At Platform Calgary, we want to create a culture of belonging that begins with an equitable and accessible hiring process. Any candidates with disabilities who may require accommodations throughout the recruitment process are encouraged to contact email@example.com.
Platform Calgary requires its team members to have up-to-date vaccinations to minimize risks associated with COVID-19.
We wish to express our appreciation to all applicants for their interest and advise that only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Any personal information submitted will be managed with the strictest confidentiality. This position will remain open until a suitable applicant is identified.
$75,000.00 – $98,000.00