Website The Salvation Army Community Services (Calgary)
Location: Calgary – Men’s and/or Women’s Shelter
Position Type: Relief/Casual
For more than 130 years, The Salvation Army has had the privilege of serving vulnerable people in communities across Canada. Last year, we helped over 1.7 million people in more than 400 communities. The Salvation Army not only provides the necessities of life such as food, clothing and shelter, but our programs address needs such as language barriers, loneliness, unemployment and family challenges. Our services continually adapt to meet emerging needs.
The Salvation Army has grown to become one of Canada’s largest non-governmental providers of social services. An organization that has people at the core of its mission, they have taken unprecedented measures during COVID-19—altered their programs and service delivery—to ensure that those who rely on them for help stay healthy and safe.
Mission and Core Values
The Salvation Army exists to share the love of Jesus Christ, meet human needs and be a transforming influence in the communities of our world.
Our values underpin all that we do:
Hope: We give hope through the power of the gospel of Jesus Christ.
Service: We reach out to support others without discrimination.
Dignity: We respect and value each other, recognizing everyone’s worth.
Stewardship: We responsibly manage the resources entrusted to us.
This position works alongside a team to provide basic needs and guidance to those that find themselves homeless by providing a welcoming, positive, respectful, and safe environment. Staff will support each person by encouraging healthy life skills and choices, so each person can experience success in moving back into the community and out of the shelter systems. The staff for this relief position will have the option to work in both the men’s or the women’s shelter or exclusively in one or the other.
Relief/Casual position – Varied hours and shifts
- Handle the admission, orientation, and evaluation of residents.
- Conduct respectful intake interviews ensuring all information is obtained, recorded, expectations are clearly communicated to residents, and basic goal setting is done.
- Monitor incoming traffic and that safety guidelines are followed.
- Liaise with Spiritual and Religious Care team members, internal referral sources and other agencies (e.g., welfare, police, parole, DOAP Team, PACT Team.)
- Store and record information on resident medication, tools and gear.
- Perform light housekeeping and fosters a clean workplace culture.
- Provide mediation in resident conflict to prevent and/or resolve altercations.
- Ensures that calls and messages for residents are dealt with as per policy.
- Receive resident concerns in a caring and professional manner, direct residents to avenues of resolution and ensure required documentation is completed.
- Monitor late passes and addresses non-compliance.
Required Education, Experience and Competencies
- Completed High school diploma plus specialized courses of up to six months (i.e., addictions, social work)
- Proof of registration with the Alberta College of Social Workers if you have a social work diploma/degree.
- More than three months of prior related experience, including experience with frontline work in a social service setting.
- Strong customer service skills and demonstrated trauma informed care, non-violent crisis intervention and de-escalation skills.
- Able to stand for long periods of time and do walk about within and outside of the building; able to walk up and down stairs. Able to pack and lift resident belongings.
- Able to continuously monitor the environment, monitor security cameras and attentiveness when interacting with clients and recording information.
- Computer skills including MS Outlook, Word, ability to use keyboard; familiarity with databases.
Successful candidates, prior to hiring, may be required to provide:
- Background check consent.
- A satisfactory Police Information Check (PIC) with Vulnerable Sector Search
- Current Standard First Aid certification with Level A or C CPR from an Alberta approved training provider.
Please apply by sending a cover letter and resume to: AB.CSCalgary.HRResumes@salvationarmy.ca and in the email subject line include the competition #MWP061522. This posting will remain open until we have filled all of the relief positions.
We thank all applicants and those selected for an interview will be contacted