What is Core Connections?
Adjusting to life in a new country can be challenging. The Core Connections Program (C2) provides a fun space for youth who have recently arrived in Canada to integrate into the community and meet other youth. Core Connections is an ongoing program and focuses on the areas of community engagement, skill-building, and peer mentorship.
By joining this program, participants gain peer support, make new friends, learn new skills, learn about Canadian culture and life in Canada, gain valuable volunteer experience and volunteer hours through community engagement activities.
To register to be part of the program,
please e-mail Core_Connections@immigrantservicescalgary.ca
Why Join C2?
- Are you new to Canada? C2 is a great way to make new friends and have fun!
- Explore the city of Calgary, learn about education in Canada, public transit, and more with the help of youth who have already been through the process.
- C2 fits into your schedule. Pick and choose events from our monthly calendars!
What can you expect from C2?
- Socialize: Make new friends through fun activities like game nights and sporting events.
- Volunteer: Gain fun, hands-on volunteer experience with fellow C2 members by helping at local organizations and charities like Inn from the Cold, the Calgary Food Bank, Making Changes Association, the Alex Community Food Centre and much more!
- Explore Calgary: Visit local attractions like the Calgary Zoo, attend cultural festivals, and get to know your new city.
- Develop Skills: Learn about something new like how to write a resume, money management, scholarships, employment skills, wellness tips, and more.
Peer Mentorship: After an initial meeting with program staff, participants may be paired with a Peer Mentor for a 6-week period. Peer Mentors will offer 1-on-1 support to newcomer youth providing friendship, guidance, and advice for adjusting to life in Canada.
Volunteer Peer Mentor Requirements:
- Must be 16-20 years old
- Must have lived in Canada for 3 years or more
To apply to be a volunteer Peer Mentor, please e-mail your resume to
Dakshima at firstname.lastname@example.org