Requisition ID: 169996
Career Group: Corporate Office Careers
Job Category: Finance Operations
Travel Requirements: 0 – 10%
Job Type: Full-Time
Country: Canada (CA)
Location: Calgary Office
Our family of 134,000 employees and franchise affiliates share a collective passion for delivering exceptional shopping experiences and amazing food to all our customers. Our mission is to nurture the things that make life better – great experiences, families, communities, and our employees. We are a family nurturing families.
A proudly Canadian company, we started in a small town in Nova Scotia but we are now in communities of all sizes across this great country. With over 1500 stores in all 10 provinces, you may know us as Sobeys, Safeway, IGA, Foodland, FreshCo, Thrifty Foods, Lawton’s Drug Stores or another of our great banners but we are all one extended family.
All career opportunities will be open a minimum of 5 business days from the date of posting.
Sobeys is full of exciting opportunities and we are looking for top talent to join our team! We have a full-time opportunity for a truly pivotal role: Manager, Finance Operations.
The Manager of accounting will support Alberta Finance Operations and will lead a team of Financial Analysts, develop and provide reports for corporate and store level reporting; and actively contribute to a positive and productive working environment.
This role is a permanent position based out of our office in Calgary, AB.
• Manage direct reports including: selection, orientation, training and development, performance management, succession planning and compensation
• Facilitate communication between teams and all other relevant functional areas
• Recommend financial and process improvements
• Support Operations including store level management and department heads with respect to interpreting and using financial information
• Ensure the accuracy of all financial information prepared by the general accounting team for designated banner/ operating area
• Actively engage in all new store set-ups from a finance perspective
• Responsible to adhere to company policies and procedures as it relates to CEO/ CFO certification as well as IFRS
• Lead preparation of capital appropriation requests
• Lead preparation and publication of weekly, monthly, and quarterly operating area financial performance commentaries
• Own budgeting and forecasting accuracy for your Operational area.
• Ensure accuracy in the administration of Franchise agreement billings (rents, royalty’s and other fees)
• Ensure accuracy in the calculation of Retail Store profit share and incentive programs.
What you bring to the table
• An Undergraduate Accounting Degree and a minimum of 8 years of relevant experience
• CPA designation
• Experience working in a complex accounting environment
• Experience with Budgeting and Forecasting financial results
• Experience with preparation and review of discounted cash flows
• Retail Operations experience and knowledge of SAP is an asset
This is an outstanding opportunity to join a leading Canadian company with a clear vision and focus. If you feel that this describes the kind of work you want to do, and you are excited about what Sobeys has to offer, then we look forward to reviewing your application. Please ensure that you take the time to ensure your profile shows us why you’re the most qualified applicant for the role.
Sobeys offers our employees many valuable benefits such as:
• Growing organization
• Competitive salary
• Pension Plan
• Flexible health and dental benefits plan (eligible employees)
• Ongoing Training & Development
• Opportunity for internal mobility to other departments and/or promotions (for employees who are strong performers)
Sobeys is committed to accommodating applicants with disabilities throughout the hiring process and will work with applicants requesting accommodation at any stage of this process.
While all responses are appreciated only those being considered for interviews will be acknowledged.